Thursday 22 November 2012

Week 6 - Still Life and Natural Man Made Forms

This week we were drawing still life and what we had to draw was some objects on a table which had a cloth over it. Before doing the final detailed drawing I made quick 3 minute sketches from 3 different viewpoints in the drawing studio. I chose my second sketch to draw in detail because I believed it looked like the best angle. This is because looking at the sketch I could see an implied line from the vase at the back going left and curving around the celery to end up at the small jug on the right of the sketch. Another reason for choosing to sketch this is because the rule of thirds can be applied to this sketch. The large vase at the back is I would say is the focal point of the drawing and it make the drawing more interesting too look at. The rule of thirds highlights the vase more because it not in the centre and also because it is the largest of the objects on the table.





This drawing took one hour fifteen minutes to complete. The pumpkin in the still life shows subtle lines and is drawn accurately. It is evident there was a strong light from the large windows in the room which cast strong shadows in the scene.  The first part of the drawing I did was the ellipse of the table and I think I did it too dark. The area shouldn’t have a line as you couldn’t see one when drawing because of the cloth that was covering it. There should instead be shading in some areas along where the line is because of the cloth similar to the shading on other parts of the cloth. One more thing I noticed is that I didn’t put some of the cloth detail under the cabbage. There is an elevated platform under the cabbage and it is not clear so this gives the sense the cabbage is floating.         


  

No comments:

Post a Comment